Latest News‎ > ‎


posted 25 Feb 2011, 07:22 by Unknown user   [ updated 25 Feb 2011, 08:44 ]


Retired Principal's Nostalgic Reflection On School Life


Retired school principal Flan Quigney has written an entertaining and

captivating memoir about his career at a well known Co. Tipperary

primary school. Flan Quigney's book "What was the Question

Sir?" is a delightful and often humourous look back on the 44 years he

served as first a teacher and then principal of Scoil Ailbhe CBS

Primary School in Thurles. Mr Quigney, who joined the staff of St

Ailbhe in the mid-1960s, has filled his memoir with anecdotes and

stories of his experiences in the classroom. But it also features much

good advice and sound observations on working with children and their

parents and being a principal. What it is evident in the 136 page book

is Mr Quigney's passion for education, not to mention his deep love of

hurling. "What Was The Question Sir?" is above all a wonderful read.

All profits from the sale of the book will go to cancer research. It

is on sale in Easons stores in Clonmel, Thurles and Nenagh and The

Bookworm in Thurles. It will no doubt will make the perfect Christmas

gift for someone. Comghairdeas Flan agus go n-éirí leat.




Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol would like to wish all our schools,

teachers and pupils a very Happy Christmas. We also wish all our

schools the very best for 2011. Nollaig Shona Duit.




Friday the 12th of November 2010 is a day that will live long in the

memory of everyone connected with Clerihan N.S. It was County Under 13

Football Final day. Clerihan N.S were playing Two Mile Borris N.S in

the Cumann na mBunscol Under 13 D County Football Final. The venue was

Clonmel Commercials GAA Pitch. The referee was Willie Barrett,

Ardfinnan. It was a dry, cold day in South Tipperary. The conditions

underfoot were good. The anticipation was building, in the community

of Clerihan, for a number of weeks. In fact ever since the hard fought

victory over Mount Bruis in the County Semi Final, on 14th of October,

the young boys were eagerly looking forward to County Final day. The

objective was to win the first Under 13 Football County title for

Clerihan, in 6 long years. There was a steely focus amongst the panel,

in the lead-up to the big day. Preparations had gone excellently, with

a few weeks of high quality training put in since the semi final. The

entire panel of 22 were relaxed and confident on the morning of the

final. There were no injury worries, and all 22 players were raring to

go. Willie Barrett threw in the ball at 2 pm, and the game was on. All

the talking was over. Now it was up to the players themselves to win

the biggest match of their lives, to date. Clerihan settled first.

They tore into the challenge from the off. Inside two minutes Conor

Horan delivered a pin-point accurate pass to Full Forward Jack Burke.

Jack took on his man and buried the ball into the bottom left hand

corner of the net. First blood to Clerihan. This really settled the

young Clerihan lads. They began to play confident, relaxed but

thoroughly effective football. The game-plan was simple: Win the ball

and deliver it quickly into the danger-zone (The Full Forward line).

The young footballers carried this game-plan out to a tee. Jack Burke

quickly added a point after the early goal. However it wasn't all

plain sailing for Clerihan. Two Mile Borris worked hard to get back

into the game. They scored a fine point, to cut the arrears to 1-1 to

0-1. But Clerihan came roaring back. A beautiful ball into the full

forward line, by wing forward Aiden Phelan, sent Luke Hahessy into the

clear. He confidently dispatched the ball into the bottom right hand

corner of the goal, to leave Clerihan in firm command. Luke added a

well-taken point shortly after the goal. Two Mile Borris weren't lying

down though. They scored next, with a superb point from a tight angle.

Then they had a goal chance, but Clerihan goalkeeper Eoin Power got

down low to deny them. It was an excellent save by a fantastic

goalkeeper. Clerihan were dominating in midfield, where Conor Horan

and Aaron Condon were majestic. Luke Hahessy then scored a point, with

a well taken free kick from the ground. Aaron Condon and Aiden Phelan

added good points to the scoreline, as half time approached. Just

before half time Luke Hahessy, the master finisher, got in for his

second goal. Clerihan's brilliant wing forward Billy Norris sent in a

high ball over Two Mile Borris' full back line. Luke Hahessy gathered

near the end-line. He cut inside his man and spectacularly drove a

shot with his right foot (supposedly his weaker foot!) into the net.

It was now 3-5 to 0-2 to Clerihan. The large contingent of Clerihan

supporters, in the stand, were ecstatic. However the players weren't

getting carried away. They knew there was still 20 minutes of the

second half to play, against the breeze. Willie Barrett blew for half

time, with the score standing at 3-5 to 0-2. The second half saw

Clerihan continue to play with confidence and style. However Two Mile

Borris had the aid of the breeze now, and started getting more and

more into the match. Clerihan had to spend periods of time defending.

However the defence was rock solid, as they continuously thwarted the

opposition's advances. Sean Maher and Aiden Lyons were heroic in the

full back line. Aiden bravely blocked a Two Mile Borris shot on his

own goal line. Sean Maher gave a master class in defending. Alan

O'Donnell and Shane Hickey were extremely dominant in the half back

line. Luke Hahessy scored a free kick (once again from the ground) and

then Jack Burke kicked another splendid point from a tight angle. With

around 8 minutes left on the clock Jack Burke got the score of the

day, and perhaps the whole season. He took on two players, and then

rocketed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net, from 20 yards.

It was a goal to grace any football match, at ANY level. However Two

Mile Borris deservedly got a late goal, finally breaching Clerihan's

water-tight rear-guard. It was an excellent goal from Two Mile Borris.

They deserved to get that goal as they played very gallantly. Clerihan

brought on Danny Fortune, Dean O'Dwyer and Luke Boyle and they all

contributed very well to the play. When Willie Barrett blew the final

whistle Clerihan were the County Under 13 D Champions! The final score

read Clerihan 4-7 Two Mile Borris 1-2. The players, mentors and

supporters were all delighted at winning the school's first County

Under 13 Championship in 6 years. It was also a bit of history as the

majority of the starting players were winning their third County

Schools Title in consecutive years. Clerihan won the under 11 C in

2008, under 11 B in 2009 and now Under 13 D in 2010. Clerihan had

completed the 3 in a row! Cumann na mBunscol Secretary Aodan Wrenn

presented the trophy to Captain Marvel Luke Hahessy. It was a great

moment for everyone connected with the team. It was a very proud

moment for School Principal John Walsh. John had put in trojan work

with the team, and now all the hard work paid off for him (and his

selectors Paddy Kelly and Aodan Wrenn). Cumann na mBunscol would like

to sincerely thank Clonmel Commercials for generously allowing us use

their fine pitch, for the Final. Thanks also to Jerry McDonnell

(Cumann na mBunscol Treasurer) who co-ordinated the Finals in Clonmel.

Sincere thanks also to Willie Barrett, who refereed the match to his

usual exemplary standard. The 22 players on the panel did themselves,

their parents, their school, their club, their parish and their

community proud. Each and every one of them were heroes. Sincere

congratulations to all the young players who made Friday 12th of

November 2010 a day never to be forgotten in Clerihan. The heroes

lined out as follows: Eoin Power, Sean Maher, Aiden Lyons, Shane

Hickey, Alan O'Donnell, Conor Horan, Aaron Condon, Billy Norris, Aiden

Phelan, Luke Hahessy (captain), Jack Burke. Subs: Dean O'Dwyer, Luke

Boyle, Danny Fortune, Shane Buckley, Daniel Browne, Evan Corcoran,

Oliver Ryan, Seamus McMahon, Daniel Fitzpatrick, Ben Keating Hogan and

Jason McCully.



For match reports, fixtures and school GAA news and events, please

email Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol PRO John Manley of Dualla NS at .

 Ní neart go cur le chéile.