Latest News‎ > ‎


posted 8 Dec 2011, 13:45 by Unknown user


Name:                    Declan Ryan

School:                   Scoil Mochaomhog Naofa, Two Mile Borris.

Class:                     6th

Age:                       11

Favourite Food:        Shepherd’s pie

Favourite Film:        Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Best GAA moment:   When I scored a goal to level the Under 11 Co Final in

                             The last few minutes.

Sporting Memory:     When Tipperary won the All Ireland in 2010


Name:                    Sean O Meara

School:                   Scoil Mochaomhog Naofa, Two Mile Borris

Class:                     6th

Age:                       12

Favourite Food:        Chicken curry

Favourite Film:         Hangover Part 2

Best GAA moment:   Winning the Under 13 Football Co Final in 2011

Sporting Memory:     Tipperary beating Kilkenny in 2010



The following are reports sent in by schools on their recent County Football Final appearances:



On the 23rd of November 2011, we the U13 Boherlahan School girls team won a county final title in Clonmel against St Josephs primary school from Tipperary town .After winning all of our earlier matches, played in the Ragg, we ran onto the pitch excited yet nervous at the same time. St Josephs scored the first two points and we were starting to get worried. From then on we really tried to improve our game .Our goalie Shaunagh Riordan blocked more than five goals and we would have lost without her skill. Aoife Kavanagh our mid fielder sprinted past not one, not two, but three of St Josephs' players. Aoife then passed the ball to our very own Maria Ryan, who out ran her marker in order to pass it to the brilliant Sarah Kate Delaney who with a hop and a solo, rattled the back of the net. At half time she had scored 5 goals, leaving the score at 5-0 to 0-2. Next it was Casey Hennessey’s turn to score. She soloed nearly half the pitch and scored the first goal of the second half. Then the St Josephs girls got possession of the ball and ran down the pitch. They were going for a goal but our amazing captain Orlagh Lacy made a fantastic block and drove the ball up the pitch. A few minutes later St Josephs sent the ball down the pitch again towards our goal .One of their forwards was in front of the goal and was about to catch the ball but our corner back Ellie Ryan knocked it out of her hands just in time for the one and only Katie Lonergan to catch it and kick it back up the pitch. After Sarah Kate scoring another great goal the goalie for St Josephs blasted the ball to one of their best players but Caitlin O Dwyer the fastest girl on the team sprinted towards her and caught it before her marker .She then passed it to our youngest player Ciara Dwan who side stepped her marker, passed it to Maria who drove it to Casey who passed it to Sarah Kate who once again scored a goal. When the final whistle blew we were all very tired yet so very happy. The final score was 8-2 for us to 2 -8 for St Josephs .Orla Lacey was our captain and we jumped for joy when she were presented with the plaque. We were very proud to bring the plaque and the county final title back to our school, Scoil San Isadoir Boherlahan.

Gaelscoil Aonach Urmhumhan Abú

Bhí Craobh an Chontae ar siúl an Aoine seo caite, sa Ragg. Bhí foireann peile na Gaelscoile ó Aonach Urmhumhan in aghaidh Máigh Ghlas. Bhuamar craobh an tuaiscirt ar an 10ú lá in aghaidh Ard Chróine agus bhíomar an-sceitimíneach a bheith ag imirt sa chraobh. Ní raibh Tommy ábalta a bheith linn ach chabhraigh Eamonn le hInez ar an taobh-líne. Chaith an réiteoir isteach an liabhróid agus thosaigh an cluiche. D’éirigh an lucht tacaíocht an-ghlórmhar agus níor stop siad ag screadáil go dtí deireadh an cluiche. Bhí Dominic an-ghnóthach ag rith síos suas le ceamara ar an taobh-líne – chonaiceamar é ag titim sa phludadh uair amháin fuí, an fear bocht! Fuair a dheartháir Scott an chéad Chúl agus níos déanaí déanadh feall air. Thóg Conor an cic soar sin agus chuaigh an liathróid thar an trasnán. Bhí cúpla pas an-deas ansin idir Callan agus Matthew. D’éirigh le Máigh Glas cúl agus dhá chúilin a fháil más ea roimh leath ama. Bhí sé ag stealladh báistí agus an pháirc ina phraiseach ach ba chuma linn. Thug Fiachra pas maith do Mhanus agus d’éirigh le Manus cúl a fháil ón taobh line a thug árdú croí dúinn. Bhí na fóirne an-chothrom agus tapaidh agus chuaigh Maigh Glas chun cinn le dhá phointe taréis dóibh cúl agus cúilín a fháil. Rinne Cillian agus Fiachra éacht ag cosaint agus rinne Eoghan sa chúl cúpla sábháilt íontach. Gan ach nóimead fághta thug Conor pas do Chillian, a sheal ar aghaidh chuig Scott é, a chuir pas isteach chuig Eoin a bhí i mbéal an chúil. Rinne Eoin an gaisce – chuir sé ar liathróid sa chúl. Bhí an bua againn. Sár – chluiche. Bhíomar fliuch báite, salach agus ba chuma linn. Bhíomar as ár meabhair le h-áthas. An Gaelscoil Abú.

Templemore are Tops in Tipp

As the bus pulled up outside Leahy Park in Cashel, the lyrics of The Saw Doctors famous song echoed in the minds of the young men from St. Colmcille’s Primary School, Templemore…‘To win just once, that would be enough.’ Never before had St. Colmcille’s won a Roinn A football final and as the team alighted from the bus, each player knew that if this was to be the day history was going to be made, it would take an almighty effort. The opposition from Clonmel, St. Peter and Paul’s came into the game unbeaten and as slight favourites. This was unchartered territory.

Scores of pupils, parents and supporters invaded the stand and a nervous din drifted across through the air on what was a near perfect day for football. Inside in the Templemore dressing room, memories of the difficult journey to the final were rehashed to help refresh the minds of the starting fifteen of what each player’s job was. Those victories came over Scoil Ailbhe, Thurles and St. Mary’s CBS, Clonmel and both had given the team the confidence to believe that this could be the day to crown a journey that began back in 2007 when a young Colin O’Riordan guided the school to a Roinn C title. Today, Colin was eagerly waiting in the stand with an All-Ireland Minor Football medal in his pocket and he joined in the applause as Captain Andrew Ormond led the boys in green from the dressing room. It was time. With the warm up complete the team gathered for some final words of encouragement, guidance and inspiration from their three teachers who had given them so much over the past number of months. Principal, Kieran Healy asked for the simple things to be done right, Mr. Denis Kelly reminded them that they must work and fight for every ball and finally Mr. Conor Doyle passionately spoke of the desire to win. No more could be said or done and the team dispersed to shake hands with their opponents. Referee, Fergal Horgan, released the ball high into the air and forty minutes of skilful and committed football began.

The noise and singing from both the Templemore and Clonmel supporters only added to the frantic nature of the first five minutes of the game. Quick passing, quick thinking and two quick frees had Templemore off to a fine start. Paddy Cadell, Andrew Ormond and Michael Fogarty gave them a three point lead and suddenly all that noise from the stand seemed to be coming from only one side. Templemore were feeling confident now and went for the jugular on two occasions as Ciarán Hoctor and Paddy Cadell both went for goal only to see their efforts blocked by an impressive Clonmel goalkeeper. At the other end of the field, the Clonmel full forward was Kieran Donaghy- like as he towered above all other players on the field. He was the target for much of the Clonmel passes and as half time approached, a high ball was driven in his direction. The ball spilled to the ground and was toed to the back of the net. A huge moment in the game and as the sound of the whistle ended the first half, momentum had swung in favour of the boys from the south.

That momentum carried on into the second half with St. Peter and Paul’s dominating possession. Their reward was two points and it could have been more but for tenacious defending by Shane Doyle, Ben Collins, Ruairi Mockler and Noel Morrissey. The scoring of those three early points seemed like a long time ago now and two points separated the teams with less than ten minutes remaining. Slowly the Templemore forwards started to get their hands on the ball and Paddy Cadell and Andrew Ormond at mid field began to dictate matters around the middle. Hard work from Hugh Maher, Edward Bergin and Conor Cadell put enough pressure on the Clonmel defenders to win two frees which were calmly slotted over by Paddy Cadell. All level, all to play for and the tension mounted.

Then controversy ensued. A Templemore free kick was driven in, hit the crossbar and bounced down towards the goal line. Was it over the line? Could this be a match winner? No. The decision was not to allow the goal and the enthralled spectators all wondered if that was to be a defining moment. Thankfully it wasn’t and St. Colmcille’s powered towards the finish line. A second point from Michael Fogarty and a sublime effort from substitute Lorcan Roche, who replaced Diarmuid Delaney, put the Templemore boys on the cusp of glory. St. Peter and Paul’s pushed forward knowing that time was not their friend anymore as the game entered injury time. In front of the packed stand, the impressive Ciarán Byrne and Man-of-the Match, Éanna McBride dived in bravely to block down the Clonmel centre forward twice in succession. As the clap of ‘hand on ball’ reverberated around the ground it was clear to everyone that Templemore were not going to be denied.

Sheer relief, delight and shouts of pride could be heard from The Rock itself as the final whistle blew. Despair for a gallant St. Peter and Paul’s team but a recognition that this was a special day in the history of St. Colmcille’s, Templemore. Principal of St. Peter and Paul’s, John Hickey, presented the plaque to captain Andrew Ormond and he acknowledged the great spectacle that both teams had contributed to.

With the celebrations complete, the squad of over forty players boarded the bus for the journey home. What a difference an hour makes. The nerves and anxiety on the journey over had now been replaced with a sense of pride and achievement. Quietness replaced by spontaneous singing. And now thoughts spring back to the lyrics of that Saw Doctors song which had echoed in their minds earlier. ‘To win just once, that would be enough.’ Time will tell.



County Final Glory For St. Mary’s CBS Under 11 Footballers

In an exciting game of quality football, played in the right spirit throughout, St. Mary’s C.B.S. Clonmel overcame the strong challenge of Tipperary C.B.S to claim the U11 County A Football title at Monroe on Friday 25th November. St. Mary’s got off to a whirlwind start with a move straight from the throw-in leading to Ben Owens firing over a fine opening point. In the next attack a combination of quick passes in the St. Mary’s forward line led to Gavin Maguire dispatching a well-taken goal. Tipperary C.B.S. responded with a nicely taken point by Niall Sharpe to open their account. St. Mary’s increased their advantage when Leigh Carroll ensured that a thunderous drive from the boot of Ian Healy made it over the line. Ben Owens followed this up with a point from a free to put St. Mary’s seven points in front. Tipperary C.B.S. gradually worked themselves back into the game and some dangerous attacks eventually led to their first goal from the boot of Brian Roche. More good play in the St. Mary’s attack by the hard-working Sean Leahy and impressive Aaron Kinsella yielded two more scores from frees, Ben Owens’ accuracy unerring in a tricky crossfield wind. Determined to keep in contention more pressing play from the Tipperary Town side led to an important second goal from Killian Noonan leaving the half-time score St. Mary’s C.B.S. 2-04, Tipperary C.B.S. 2-01.With just a goal between the sides Tipperary C.B.S. knew it was all to play for and they made all the attacks early in the second half. Despite the pressure some excellent positional play by Seán O’Connor and tenacious tackling by Christopher Grogan meant that the lead was only reduced by one point. St. Mary’s rearranged forward line was feeding on limited possession now. In a rare attack good foraging by Eddie Dunphy and Brian Lynch created space for Kian Duggan whose fierce drive found the net for a crucial score. Once more Tipperary C.B.S. went looking for a goal. Another point narrowed the gap and gave them hope. The game now hung in the balance and it was during this period that the St. Mary’s defence stood tall. Some fine fielding by team captain Ben Norris, important interceptions and a brave block by Barry Kehoe and a superb high catch under his crossbar by Enda Dunphy kept the Tipperary boys at bay. Welcome relief from the onslaught was provided by St. Mary’s dynamo Michael O’Donnell who won some vital possession around the middle of the field. A pointed free and fifth score from the tireless Ben Owens gave some extra breathing space. To their credit Tipperary C.B.S. kept pressing to the end adding another point to their tally, but the day belonged to St. Mary’s. The combination of superb teamwork, honesty of effort and no shortage of skill made it a victory to savour. Final score St. Mary’s C.B.S. 3-05 Tipperary C.B.S. 2-03.St. Mary’s C.B.S. Enda Dunphy, B. Kehoe, S. O’Connor, A. Kinsella, C. Grogan, B. Owens, B. Norris, I. Healy, S. Leahy, G. Maguire, L. Carroll, B. Lynch, K. Duggan, M. O’Donnell, Eddie Dunphy

Tipperary C.B.S. David Kelly, Dylan Farrelly, Noel O’Mahony, Edward Nolan, Dean Morrissey, Jonathon Ryan, Adam Dunne, Brian Roche, Niall Sharpe, Killian Noonan, Jake O’Dwyer, Darren Heuston, Ray Hennessy, Andrew Richardson, Mark Butler

Rahealty NS Girls Secure Under 13 County Title in Style By Donnacha Byrne 6th Class Rahealty NS


The two under 13 girls’ teams Rahealty N.S and Ayle N.S met on the 23/11/11 at Clonmel Commercials pitch to decide who would become the champions of County Tipperary. It was a nice day but there was a strong wind blowing across the pitch that would decide the champions of the Cumann na mBunscol championship.

The two captains went up for the coin toss, Ayle won and they decided to play with the wind for the first half. The referee then threw in the ball and Ayle won the ball. Immediately Ayle attacked with force but the ball went wide. Rahealty launched an attack on the Ayle goal and Stephanie O Gorman got a superb goal to give Rahealty some space to breathe. Rahealty attacked relentlessly and eventually got a 45, Lauren McCormack took the 45 and Marie Creedon put the ball between the posts. Ayle attacked with all their might and number 15 scored a goal. Ciara Galvin kicked out the ball to Lauren McCormack, Lauren then passed to Stephanie O Gorman who passed back and then the ball ended up in the back of the Ayle net. The Ayle goalie kicked out the ball with Lauren McCormack intercepting it and passed it to Stephanie O Gorman who just missed by a whisker. Ayle were ahead by 2 points until Marie Creedon scored a goal to put Rahealty up by a point. The half-time score Rahealty 3-1 Ayle 2-3.

The two teams came out for the second half and they switched sides, and this time Rahealty were playing with the wind. Marie Creedon won the throw-in for Rahealty and she attacked the Ayle goal before passing to Eva Noonan who just missed. Aoife Maher moved back to mark Ayle's number 15 who was a very good forward. Rahealty had a 45 which was taken by Lauren McCormack who passed to Stephanie O Gorman who got a goal. To finish it off Lauren McCormack scored a brilliant goal to secure it for Rahealty. Throughout the second half points were scored by Aoife Maher, Lauren McCormack and Marie Creedon. The final score was Rahealty 5-4 Ayle 2-3. We wish the best of luck to all the schools next year.




For any schools/teachers wishing to access Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol news and updates via Twitter, the Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol Twitter username is @TippCumanNamBun. The following link will enable you to follow us:!/TippCumanNamBun. We would encourage as many teachers and schools as possible to follow us as this will enable you to access information as soon as it becomes available.




For match reports, fixtures and school GAA news and events, please email Tipperary Cumann na mBunscol PRO John Manley of Dualla NS at Website: Ní neart go cur le chéile.