TIPPERARY ALLIANZ CUMANN NA MBUNSCOL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Name: Keith Ryan
School: Upperchurch NS
Favourite Player: Conor O’Mahony
Favourite Moment: Playing for my school in Semple Stadium
Favourite Movie: The Fast & The Furious
Name: Kaasim Alam Baloch
School: Ayle NS
Favourite Player: Brendan Cummins
Favourite Moment: Playing in Semple Stadium with Cappawhite.
Favourite Movie: The Simpsons
THE ORIGINS OF CUMANN NA MBUNSCOL
Cumann na mBunscol was set up in 1971 when a group of teachers met after the annual Corn na Casca match between Dublin and Limerick primary schools. They decided to approach some other interested teachers and a meeting was arranged for New Year’s Day, 1971 in Limerick. The attendance on that day included, Tom Garry who was to be Runaí for 21 years, Peadar Mac Craith, Martin Kitterick and Pat Guthrie. They decided to explore the possibility of setting up a national body to promote Gaelic games in primary schools. They decided to call the organisation Bord Eadar Cathrach na mBunscol. Later other areas were to join. So the areas involved in Cumann na mBunscol were Dublin, Cork, Thurles, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny, Clare, Dundalk and Drogheda. During the first ten years the coiste set about consolidating the organisation and Meath was the only new area to join in that period. Finance was obtained from the G.A.A. and medal sponsorship was got from C.I.E. As a consequence, huge crowds of children travelled all over the country in special trains. Later when A.I.B. took over the sponsorship, only the teams travelled and they usually stayed overnight. In these early years the AGM was held at a different venue each year and this was a very sociable affair. Of these meetings the one held on the occasion of Sciath na Scol's 75th anniversary in Cork is probably the most memorable. Michael Jackson was in the chair and the delegates were snowbound in Blarney for the weekend. The A.G.M.'s were always attended by dignitaries from the G.A.A., Church and State. People like Pat Fanning, Paddy McFlynn, Paddy Buggy, Sean O'Siochain, Bishop Tom Morris, Bishop Casey, Jack Lynch and the then Minister for Education Paddy Faulkner. The meeting in Cork was addressed by the legendary Christy Ring. The National A.G.M. was held in the Fairways Hotel, Dundalk in 1973 and Hugh O'Hare was then the chairman of Cumann Peile na nÓg in Dundalk. He welcomed the delegates and presided over the meeting. In 1975 a sub - committee was elected to formulate a constitution for Bord Eadar Cathrach na mBunscoileanna. The constitution was adopted at the following A.G.M. in 1976, and the main objective of this document was to have an All-Ireland Body with representation from all thirty two counties. The A.G.M. was held in the Rosnaree Hotel, Drogheda in 1981. That meeting will always be remembered because of the great tragedy in the Stardust on Friday 14th February, Valentine’s night. The meeting was attended by Padraig McFlynn, then President of the G.A.A. and Padraig Faulkner, who was then Ceann Comhairle. Over the next few years Cumann na mBunscol expanded to include all thirty - two counties. History was made at our AGM in Kerry on 28th. February, 2004 when the London Primary Schools’ GAA Board became affiliated to Cumann na mBunscol as they were looking for moral support and coaching guidance from our organisation. London was considered as another county and it was grouped with the six counties in Ulster for insurance purposes.
CUMANN NA mBUNSCOL – CO. THIOBRAID ARANN EQUIPMENT SCHEME ORDER 2013
A Chara, Please note the following:
· Our website contains the order form for 2013 and explanatory leaflets.
· Helmets, Mycro or Marc, will be distributed by courier service on receipt of signed order form and appropriate cheque. (note price reduction – super value)
· All other items of equipment, ordered and paid for, must be collected in Scoil Ailbhe Primary School, Thurles, between 5.00pm and 8.00pm on Friday, 22nd March, 2013.
· Mycro helmets available in single colour, two tone combination or faded. Please state colour preference on order sheet.(Use separate sheet if necessary)
· Marc helmets available in single colour only. Please state colour preference on order sheet.(Use separate sheet if necessary)
· Please provide your home phone no on the order sheet as contacting schools, when necessary, can be quite difficult.
· You can contact Jerry McDonnell at any time at the address or phone number below. Please do not hesitate to do so should you require further information.
· Hurleys are available at the above address at all times. Please feel free to purchase hurleys at any time, even before the equipment distribution night on Friday, 22nd March, 2013. Please ring before calling.
· All order forms must be signed by school principal.
· New Mycro gloves available this year. Place state left or right glove plus size small, medium or large when ordering gloves.
· Please make sure that any equipment ordered and paid for is collected on the equipment distribution night. Failure to collect equipment causes severe problems.
· Please return your order forms to Jerry McDonnell Tel: (052) 6121431 25 Ballingarrane, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary on or before Friday, 8th March, 2013.
2013 REGISTRATION FEE
Please send on your €30.00 annual registration fee for 2013 with your order. To participate in playing activities and/or the equipment scheme the €30.00 registration must be paid. This is an annual fee which registers a school for a calendar year. Please give a separate €30.00 cheque for registration.
Latest News >