Latest News‎ > ‎

Report on the County Final By Michelle Stapleton, 5th class Leugh NS

posted 9 Nov 2011, 08:44 by Unknown user

Today, the 16th of October, the County Final took place. Clonoulty-Rossmore played Drom and Inch. The throw-in was right on time at 3.30pm in Semple Stadium. The referee threw in the sliotar and immediately Clonoulty won it, but Drom kept fighting for it. The first point was scored by James Ryan on the Drom team, but Drom were too busy celebrating and while they were doing so, the puck-out was taken and Clonoulty got the ball. Joey O’Keefe, number 2, ran the length of the pitch with the ball and the next thing you knew, it was in the back Drom net! Clonoulty fans went mad cheering. The Drom goalie was furious.

He pucked the ball out to the half-forward, and David Collins, number 12, got a point. Then an argument broke out in the Clonoulty back line, and the referee came down and calmed things down, and the free was taken. Drom number 13, Pat Lupton took it and scored. Drom fans all jumped up cheering and the Clonoulty goalie, Declan O’Dwyer hit the sliotar up to number 8. All of a sudden it was half-time after 32 minutes of play.

Two minutes later the Moycarkey Pipers came out to play music and the subs were out having a puck around. When ten minutes had passed, the referee blew the whistle and the teams returned to the pitch and took their positions. The referee threw in the ball again. Drom won the clash but lost it to Clonoulty number 9, who passed it to number 13, and he passed it to number 15. When the ball returned to number 13, he scored! It was an unreal goal. Clonoulty fans were roaring, and the Drom goalie took the puck out, and I looked up at the scoreboard, it said ‘Attendance 7,038’. The score read Drom 1:14 and Clonoulty 2:11. Clonoulty were winning by one point but it was soon after that Drom scored five more points. But then Clonoulty retaliated with three more points.

There was only five minutes left and the two teams were putting on substitutes every minute. But all of a sudden the referee blew the full-time whistle. Drom were the champions! The fans were thrilled! The captain on the Drom team, Seamus Callanan, number 11, was handed the Dan Breen Cup. It was a fantastic game!